Deanaland

Saturday, May 26, 2007

Open Window

Does anyone know what's up with Johnny Depp's accent? I was watching an old episode of "21 Jump Street" today and back then, he sounded like a typical American guy. Now, and I'm talking about when he's not in some kind of character, he has this impossible-to-place accent that Americans tend to get when they spend too much time in Europe. You know, like the way Madonna sounds. I guess she forgot we all know she's from Detroit. And Johnny? He was born in Kentucky. Come on, Johnny. You're not fooling me. But I still think you're hot.

Last night, Julia's friend spent the night over here. Her friend's parents tend to be pretty protective and don't let her spend the night with just anyone. This morning, the friend's mom -- a good friend of mine -- came around 10:30 to pick up her daughter. When I answered the door, she said, "A boy is climbing into Julia's window." I went to Julia's room, opened the door, and there stood Julia, her friend, and the 5-year-old kid from across the street. "Hi, there. You need to go outside," I said. "I'm pretty sure it's OK if I'm in here," he said. I communicated something to the effect that it actually wasn't OK and he went outside. Julia has been opening her window lately and she said the boy was in our front yard, saw that it was open and just came on in. I'm just hoping Julia's friend's mom doesn't think Julia has boys climbing in and out of her window all the time. We showed Julia how to open her window and climb out a few weeks ago in case there's ever a fire. Now I'm thinking about painting it shut.

Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

  • At Mon May 28, 12:15:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    Don't forget Gweneth Paltrow with that group. She's another one who disguises her California roots with her goofy pseudo-British accent!

     
  • At Tue May 29, 05:58:00 AM, Blogger cryssi said…

    Hi. I read your blog quite often. I just could not help but comment on this one. First of all, what kind of parents does this neighbor kid have? I mean he is five years old and climbing into windows, girls windows at that....Then he talks to you like that. I would have gotten a good tongue lashing for talking like that at 13 but at five. What is this world coming to?

    Love your blog by the way.

     
  • At Tue May 29, 08:06:00 AM, Blogger KentF said…

    The accent of Johnny's is something along the lines of "I live in Europe and I've been paid $95 Million for wearing a puffy shirt"

     
  • At Thu May 31, 07:57:00 AM, Blogger Arlene Kasselman said…

    As an accented person, myself...Johnny's accent is from years of living in France. His "wife" is French and sooner or later it rubs off. We arrived in the US sounding very British even though we are from South Africa. 15 years of West Texas and now we sound like Aussies or New Zealanders. People around here always comment on our accent and people back home, think we sound American. Go figure....

    I think the British sound, like Madonna and Gwynneth have is so easy to slip into if you are immersed in that culture.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home