Deanaland

Thursday, June 02, 2005

Love in Second Grade

Alan and I were a second-grade couple. Our romance was short-lived, but noteworthy. There were no other couples in second grade at the time of our affair. We had been good friends since the previous year, and common interests -- such as our passion for all things Star Wars, and the fact that my mom was his mom's Avon lady -- brought us closer. Then came the day at recess when he asked, "Do you love me?" I replied, "Sure." That sealed it. Relationships were so simple back then.

We sacrificed for each other. Other kids made fun of us. I was taunted to the point of tears by classmates chanting "Deana and Alan sitting in a tree..." As I sat crying at my desk, classmate Chad Small (brother of Brad Small, if any of you know who he is) approached me and, desperately trying to help, solemnly suggested that I run away from home. I don't know how that would have helped, but I appreciated his concern.

Alan and I eventually went separate ways, and in third grade my family moved out of state. On my last day at school, he gave me a teddy bear.

Occasionally I've wondered what became of Alan. Then last night, I came across a web site for alums of the high school in that town. I was scanning the names and there he was. With an email address. So...should I? Would you?

11 Comments:

  • At Thu Jun 02, 08:20:00 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Gee, I don't know ... what if he wants the teddy bear back?

     
  • At Thu Jun 02, 10:06:00 AM, Blogger Kyle said…

    Deanna, I'm glad that I'm not the only one who feels that strange urge to freak people out with a blast from the past. I think that people always wonder if they are the only one who remembers a particular childhood event. I saw the first girl I kissed in Target the other day. (One of the downsides of living in the town you grew up) I was with Amanda and pointed over to the girl and said, "When I was in 7th grade that girl was my first kiss." My wife just laughed. I wondered if she'd even remember. I mean, of course she'd remember, I was her first, too. But, I feel that most people wouldn't even care enough to make mention of it. So I usually say nothing about stuff like that. Amanda would say that I am always talking to people like this, but she'd be surprised at the times I hold my toungue.

     
  • At Thu Jun 02, 12:35:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Kyle -- and to think, I've never even kissed anyone in Target! Lucky!

    The only reason I haven't net-stalked my h.s. boyfriend is because he's dead. But I had nothing to do with that.

     
  • At Thu Jun 02, 12:37:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Kyle -- one more thing -- my first kiss (Alan and I prided ourselves on our purity) was in junior high and the guy married my best friend. Hi, Carol!!

     
  • At Thu Jun 02, 09:07:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    Your first kiss was DrP ? I learn more and more about them from this blog. i would e-mail him! I have kept up with most of my noteworthy guy friends via e-mail for sometime. It always makes my day to hear from them and I am very proud of the people they have become.

     
  • At Thu Jun 02, 09:30:00 PM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    Don't do it Deana!
    It's a slippery slope. One day it's your 2nd grade boyfriend...the next you're kissing the Target stock boy.
    Run, Deana, run like the wind!

    By the way, if you're having enough time to stalk elementary old flames...maybe you're not as busy this summer with your two munchkins as you'd like us all to think. I'm on to your game.

    Love ya!
    Sarah Paulk

     
  • At Fri Jun 03, 08:52:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…


    As your dad, I really need to know what you and Alan did while you were in that tree. I might have a "big money" lawsuit against the school for not watching their "problem children" more closely...
    WinniePhew --

     
  • At Sat Jun 04, 04:31:00 AM, Blogger Rusty Sides said…

    You can contact him, but keep in mind it may spoil the good memories you have of him today...

     
  • At Sat Jun 04, 07:03:00 AM, Blogger Jana said…

    Yes! You should email him! I bet you could pull a story out of your reunion for your column...

     
  • At Sat Jun 04, 05:02:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    Is Carol P your best friend? She goes to my church and her daughter is friends with my Matthew. Small world.

    I would definitely email. I have been doing that a lot this year and have been in contact with people (including boyfriends) that I haven't talked to in years.

    It is nice to reconnect with people who knew and loved you during your goofy years.

     
  • At Wed Jun 08, 01:20:00 PM, Blogger stuckinthe80s said…

    Do it!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home