Deanaland

Sunday, May 29, 2005

Warning to New Moms

You know all those cute little outfits you just got at your baby shower? The ones you washed in Dreft and folded away neatly in your baby's dresser?

You should be warned. These same darling ensembles, in just a few months, will cause you no end of grief when your child outgrows them and you must decide what to do with them. Those of you planning to have more babies can take comfort in knowing you can "put them up for the next baby," but if you're like me, and you've had your honest-to-goodness last baby, you simply have to get rid of the stuff and it will ABSOLUTELY RIP YOUR HEART OUT! BY THE ROOTS!

(Guess what I did today?)

5 Comments:

  • At Sun May 29, 08:58:00 PM, Blogger Mae said…

    Not to be insensitive... BUT, you could send it all to me! :)

    I can't imagine getting rid of the precious onesies, gowns, booties, blankets and the like. Hope you're dealing w/ it well.

     
  • At Mon May 30, 10:29:00 AM, Blogger Kyle said…

    You could mount them on your wall in a sort of shrine or shadowbox-type thing. Hang some track lighting to give it that display effect. Make a plaque describing the wonderful advances made while wearing the onesie. "________ was wearing this yellow duckie jumper the day she learned the word Pukie."

     
  • At Tue May 31, 08:02:00 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    My wife Angi gave a lot of our kids' baby and toddler items to young couples at church with little ones.

    That way she got to see them again, and she would always point them out to me.

    ("Remember when Matthew wore that?" "Oh, yeah. It made him look like a baby girl, too.")

     
  • At Tue May 31, 02:29:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    I am not brave enough to do what you are doing so all my kids cute baby outfits are up in the attic collecting dust and heat stains! Can you imagine?! There are many pregnant people in our family to pass things on to but Kolby is 7 now. Her clothes are a tad outdated. Rhett wore through his clothes, so there wasn't much to save. I doubt anyone else would see these as valuable. I just can't let go of those little dresses and hats and gymboree outfits. I think I need therapy.

     
  • At Tue May 31, 07:11:00 PM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    There is nothing that marks the passing of our children's lives more than giving away clothes that they have outgrown. I feel your pain.

    Do try to save special dresses. My mother saved many of the dresses that she made for me or that my grandmother made for me. I love comparing the pictures of me wearing the same dresses as Mary Elizabeth!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home