Deanaland

Friday, May 15, 2009

My Favorite Shoes Ever

I try to be aware. I try to be “wide awake,” like Bono on U2’s The Unforgettable Fire album. I try to be conscientious of the world around me. I try to be as well-read as I have time to be. I know the world is a broken, hurting place.

But I have been known to have moments of profound vanity and shallowness.

That’s why this post is all about really cute shoes.

Gather around and let me tell you the story of my Favorite Shoes Ever.

It was spring of 2006. I was in the Baytown Wal-Mart getting our weekly load of groceries. I don’t know what compelled me to walk down the shoe aisle. I’m not a snob about that kind of thing; it’s just that Wal-Mart isn’t exactly known for having cute shoes.

Then I saw them. Did my eyes deceive me? Extensive beading, braided wedge heel, long ribbons that tie around the ankle… was this for real? There was only one pair, and when I looked more closely, this one pair was in my size. Were these shoes worth adding 20 bucks to our grocery bill for that week? You bet they were. I snagged them like they were the Holy Grail. Because really, they were. I’ve never seen anything else like them in the Wal-Mart shoe department. People are always surprised when I say where I got them, because no one else has ever seen anything like them at Wal-Mart, either. I’ve tried to find them online with no luck. I consider this event to be a shoe miracle.

I must admit they are quite uncomfortable and I can only wear them if I’m not going to be out long. But as all women know, that doesn’t matter. Because they are so cute.

I get compliments on them all the time. Just yesterday, Chad and I were having a lunch date and a group of waitresses (not one, but a GROUP) came by to check out my shoes. It’s kind of like being famous.

Now let’s behold the cuteness. A moment of silence, please.





O, Wal-Mart miracle shoes, shall I compare thee to a summer's day? Thou art more lovely and more... cute.


Is it OK to love a pair of shoes this much? We sponsor a child in India through World Vision. Doesn’t that make it OK?

I know these shoes won’t last forever. I know one day they will completely fall apart. (I mean, come on, they’re from Wal-Mart.) When this dreaded day comes, they will get a tearful burial in the backyard. But I will never forget them. These are the shoes I will tell my grandkids about.

Labels:

5 Comments:

  • At Fri May 15, 11:57:00 AM, Anonymous mom of 5 said…

    Oh, the memories of really cute shoes past.........
    I have had some really cute shoes which have moved on from this current life (or wardrobe). I still reach for them in my closet but alas they are gone.
    Sigh.
    Enjoy these golden days, my friend.

     
  • At Fri May 15, 07:02:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Perhaps you can get and Israelite extended warranty on your shoes...

    And I have led you forty years in the wilderness: your clothes are not waxen old upon you, and thy shoe is not waxen old upon thy foot. Deut 29:5

    They ARE really cute! I have chunky ankles, so I can't pull these off. Oh well... they look great on you.

    I'm a Believer!
    Laura

     
  • At Sat May 16, 01:29:00 PM, Blogger Lauren said…

    They're adorable! I would have snatched them up, too :) A girl can never have too many pairs of extremely cute shoes!

     
  • At Sat May 16, 07:19:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Well, dang. They are cute.

    I say, just take them off when you're on holy ground, and you should be just fine, scripturally.

     
  • At Sat Jul 25, 04:15:00 AM, Anonymous Sian said…

    Thanks for sharing your favorite shoes!! Those are really nice... Design of those shoes are also fantastic...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home