Deanaland

Monday, June 25, 2007

Fast Food Fun

Chad was leaving for a youth trip yesterday after church and asked me to go get lunch for the four of us and bring it back to the church so he could work on loading up the van. Here's the conversation I had in the drive-through at Sonic:

SONIC PERSON: Welcome to Sonic. How may I help you?

ME: I need a #1 with a Dr Pepper...

SP: Do you want cheddar peppers or anything else?

ME: No... (meaning I didn't want the cheddar peppers, and I started to give the rest of the order)

SP: Your total is $4.32, drive through please.

ME: Wait -- I need to finish ordering.

SP: (Five minutes of silence)

I backed the car up and pulled up again hoping to trigger whatever it is that tells them someone is in the drive-through.

SP: Welcome to Sonic. How may I help you?

ME: I need to finish ordering.

SP: Oh. What did you order?

So I was finally able to order everything. Then I sat in the drive-through for another ten minutes and there was still a car ahead of me. I didn't have all the time in the world because Chad was on a schedule. So I drove out of the line and went to the Wendy's next door.

WENDY'S PERSON: Welcome to Wendy's. How may I help you?

ME: I need a #1 with a Dr Pepper...

WP: Your total is $4.32. Drive through, please.

Somehow the fast-food gods intervened and I was able to get back to the church with food for all four of us (including a salad for me. The #1 was for Chad, for those of you tracking my veggie progress.) But I gotta tell ya, one of the things I have enjoyed about becoming vegetarian is that I don't have to deal with fast-food establishments very much any more. There isn't much for veggie people at those places except for fries and desserts, and I might as well get something healthy from somewhere else.

I now know that ordering at a drive-through requires the not so easy skill of getting your entire order out in one breath quickly -- before they total you out, tell you to drive through and shut down the line of communication between them and your car. So I've been practicing. Here goes:

"I-NEED-A-#1-WITH-A-DR-PEPPER-AND-TWO-HOT-DOGS-WITH-NOTHING-ON-THEM-BECAUSE-I-HAVE-STRANGE-CHILDREN-WHO-DO-NOT-BELIEVE-IN-CONDIMENTS-AND-I-NEED-A-DEAD-ANIMAL-SALAD-WITH-NO-DEAD-ANIMALS-ON-IT-BECAUSE-I-AM-A-VEGETARIAN-HIPPIE-FREAK-AND-A-COOKIE-DOUGH-BLAST-THAT'S-IT-THANKS."

Labels: , , , ,

6 Comments:

  • At Mon Jun 25, 02:02:00 PM, Blogger Winston said…


    Dear Daughter:

    Was it anything that Mom and I did when you were young and growing up at home ...? We tried our best ...

    Love,
    Dad --

     
  • At Mon Jun 25, 03:21:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My girls won't eat condiments either. Aubrey won't touch honey, syrup, mustard, or salad dressing. Emma hates ketchup. Weird!!! Who doesn't like syrup??
    CP

     
  • At Tue Jun 26, 06:02:00 PM, Blogger Sarah said…

    Deana, I'm curious to know how you handle being a vegetarian at church events and esp when people invite your family over for meals. Not what you eat, but how do you handle it socially when you are served meat? This is something I often struggle with. Did you guys just sort of make it really loud and clear when you moved there, that you're a vegetarian?

    My hubby worked in a very southern church for awhile and I never made a big deal out of my diet but when people found out about it...many were offended, flabbergasted and critical. It made me feel bad. If you feel like sharing your experiences with me, that would be very cool. :)

    Have a great week!

     
  • At Tue Jun 26, 07:11:00 PM, Blogger David Smith said…

    KJ-52's song "A Coke, a Fry and Cheeseburger" comes to mind ... :-)

     
  • At Wed Jun 27, 07:53:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I personally am reminded of a spoken word recording where the poor hapless customer orders a cheeseburger, onion rings, and a large orange drink.

    The response he gets is similar to how the adults in the Peanuts specials sound. "Wah-wah-wah . . ."

     
  • At Fri Jun 29, 08:19:00 AM, Blogger SG said…

    Dead animal salad? Nice visual.
    I would love to be a vegetarian but I hate all those "other source of protein" foods! I'm an every other day vegetarian by habbit. I would never ever make it as a vegan though as ice cream and frappacino froth cometo us via the lovely bovine family! :)

     

Post a Comment

<< Home