Deanaland

Monday, June 11, 2007

The Devil in the Junior League

Lois, my best Baytown girlfriend, is always asking me, "What have you been reading?" I had told her "Nothing" too many times in a row, so I gathered up the girls on Friday and took them to the Benton library. We like this one better than the Bryant library -- it's a lot bigger and reminds us more of the Baytown library, which, other than church, was the center of our social lives when we lived there.

I checked out this book and finished it yesterday. (Yes, I read at lightning speed -- something that continues to baffle my husband.) It's "The Devil in the Junior League" by Linda Francis Lee. It's about a woman who excels in snobbery (but in an endearing way, which makes her likeable) who is forced out of her position of privilege and prestige through a series of "unfortunate incidents." The way she fights back and ultimately finds herself makes for an entertaining read. And if you've ever lived in a town where the Junior League dominates the social culture and probably has a whole lot more power than it should (Hello out there, Junior League of Beaumont, Texas!) you'll enjoy her descriptions of the inner workings of the chapter in her fictional hometown. The author is a real-life Junior Leaguer and former Texas debutante.

Next I'm onto something completely different: "Turn Away Thy Son," which is about the 1957 desegregation crisis at Little Rock's Central High School. Incidentally, several of our youth group members attend Central.

So that's what I'm reading, Lois!

Labels: , ,

5 Comments:

  • At Mon Jun 11, 10:23:00 AM, Blogger Jacinda said…

    Hmm..sounds like a good read for my vacation!

     
  • At Mon Jun 11, 11:02:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    My hubby always teases me about my fast reading -- I'll come home with a bag full of books and he'll quip "Oh, a little light reading for the evening?" Smart aleck.

    Looks like a great bedtime reading book -- light and fun!

     
  • At Mon Jun 11, 01:36:00 PM, Blogger WinSpin said…

    Well, Dear Daughter, you always did read fast, even as a four year old. And here I sit with my collection of "Hank, the Cowdog" series. I've read all 48 volumes. It took me about one year but you've got to consider that each volume has about 120 pages ... Hmmmm ... maybe you got that lightening stuff from Mom ...

     
  • At Mon Jun 11, 02:03:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Oh! Mr. Hamby (I know I'm 35, but I still feel the need to address you as mister!) I love Hank the Cowdog books. They are sooo much fun to read aloud in the car on trips.

    I love making fun of Junior League. Once I jokingly told a friend, "What are you a junior league-er?" She replied, "Ummm, yes actually I am." Whoops! Don't worry we're still friends, she has a sense of humor.

    Seriously, I have to say I've never met a Junior League girl I didn't like. But... I 've never lived in Beaumont.

    cp

     
  • At Tue Jun 12, 08:25:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Our mutual friend, Lois, just gave me a new book for my retirement. It is "I Know Just What You Mean, the Power of Friendship in Women's Lives" by Ellen Goodman & Patricia O'Brien. Not so much light reading, but I'm looking forward to getting into it. I am NOT fast reader, so don't expect a book report too soon.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home