Deanaland

Wednesday, May 03, 2006

Life as a Kid

Isn't it great when your kids can help you out? I've had a ton of work lately so Julia wrote my column for me this week. Enjoy!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


By Julia Nall
The Baytown Sun
Published May 3, 2006

Presenting life as a kid!

Since Mommy is not writing her column this week, I get to! And, if you haven't guessed who I am by now, I'm Julia Nall.

OK. So here's what happens in the mornings. You know how moms and dads always say, "Have a good night's sleep?" Well, when my dad and mom wake me up and I don't want to get up, that's because I didn't get a good night's sleep. So whatever happened to "Get a good night's sleep?"

And also, when I wake up too early in the morning, they say "Go back to bed." But on those nights, I did have a good night's sleep. So I guess I can't win.

Then I have breakfast, which is usually pancakes or oatmeal but rarely cereal. Although I like cereal and pancakes way more than oatmeal. To tell you the truth, I don't really like oatmeal that much.

Then they say to brush my teeth. So I spend a few minutes brushing my teeth. And they say, "Hurry up!" I'm just trying to keep my teeth healthy!

When I'm putting my shoes on, how do they expect me to tie them when the shoelaces have broken off? Now that is another story that happened in school.

When I'm trying to find my shoes, I can't. I don't have that good of a memory. I took them off after school the day before. How could I remember?

At school, I usually get a headache trying to do the word searches or the ABC order because they're always so, so hard.

But then the fun part -- recess! Except for when we have to sit out the entire time, which rarely happens. If we don't go outside, we usually free draw or do work. And the work is usually pretty fun. And sometimes we read.

On library days, if you couldn't find your book or didn't finish it, you get to read a magazine. Pretty cool, huh? What's even cooler is that we can work in the library instead. And everybody loves that.

During P.E. time, we usually go outside, but the part where we do stretches is dreaded. Everybody in my class dreads stretches. At least that's what I think. On Wednesdays, we have to do laps around our school track. This is called Tiger Laps. We have to do two, three or more.

When I get home, I usually like to invite friends over. When I can't, I play on the computer or hang upside down on my head.

At dinner, I love ramen noodles. I usually eat them, or sweet potatoes and broccoli. Mommy and Daddy like meat but I don't like meat at all. Except for sausage at George Daniels, very, very crispy bacon and pepperoni.

At bedtime, sometimes I stay up with a flashlight and read. But sometimes I just doze right off. Then it's morning and the cycle goes again and again.

That's what it's like in a kid's day! Mommy's column will be back next week.

Julia Nall is a first-grader at Travis Elementary.

8 Comments:

  • At Wed May 03, 08:14:00 AM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    Oh, for the day when I'll have too many writing assignments...

     
  • At Wed May 03, 09:10:00 AM, Blogger WinSpin said…


    Julia: I love your mom's writing but tell her to watch out or you will be taking over her spot with the Baytown Sun ...

     
  • At Wed May 03, 10:49:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Great job Julia! I think you and Emma have a lot in common... except the broccoli part!
    CP

     
  • At Wed May 03, 12:01:00 PM, Blogger Heather said…

    I'm with Julia. I don't like Oatmeal either, and I think I had to eat it at least 2 times a week growing up. Give her the comfort that come 18 and college, she'll NEVER have to eat it again! {grin}

     
  • At Wed May 03, 12:22:00 PM, Blogger Kelley said…

    You better watch the competition. You are likely to lose a column with a guest writer this good!

     
  • At Wed May 03, 08:29:00 PM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Good job, Julia! I'm glad you could help your mommy out with this description of a kid's day.

    Oh and Paige. Yes, some people really do like oatmeal. I do and I like the old fashioned oats in the round cardboard Quaker Oats box with the Colonial white-haired fellow's picture on front. Yum, good stuff with a bit of butter, sugar and cream. Not a diet food. ;-)

     
  • At Thu May 04, 01:15:00 PM, Blogger KentF said…

    Excellent job Julia! Oh, and make sure Mom deposits her weekly paycheck into a savings account for you soon, seeing as how you did the work and all. Just one of your peeps looking out for you.

     
  • At Thu May 04, 07:04:00 PM, Blogger mom23 said…

    Great job, Julia! I think you and Chloe has so much in common! Tell your mom that she should take you to Target to get new shoe strings.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home