Deanaland

Saturday, October 22, 2005

Some Poetry

I'm reading Garrison Keillor's compilation of poems called "Good Poems for Hard Times." Here's a short one I wanted to share:

"The Goose
by Muriel Spark

Do you want to know why I am alive today?
I will tell you.
Early on, during the food shortage,
Some of us were miraculously presented
Each with a goose that laid a golden egg.
Myself, I killed the cackling thing and I ate it.
Alas, many and many of the other recipients
Died of gold-dust poisoning."

I think it's saying that blessings aren't always where you think they are. Sometimes you have to get creative to find them.

I also find it amusing that the people died of gold-dust poisoning. Is that bad?

2 Comments:

  • At Sat Oct 22, 07:55:00 PM, Blogger mom23 said…

    What a great poem! I read this earlier today and its popped into mind several times throughout the day. Thanks for sharing it!

     
  • At Sun Oct 23, 06:39:00 PM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Amusing ... but chemically inaccurate. Gold actually doesn't poison you; it's inert.

    In fact, there used to be a fancy uptown NY restaurant that served a dessert that was a brownie with an unbelievably thin layer of gold leaf on top. It cost a couple hundred bucks.

    But that, for sure, is a whole different blog post ...

     

Post a Comment

<< Home