Deanaland

Thursday, January 27, 2005

Not Amused!

Today is Julia's 100th day of school. They sent a note home the other day asking for kindergarteners to wear 100 things on their clothing. It could be stickers, ribbons, etc. Julia had early release yesterday, which is good because it took all afternoon to go through her room to find things to put on her clothes. I let her pick it all out and she ended up with a pile of stickers, random pieces of paper and HUGE gift bows she has saved from presents. So this morning was crazy as I was trying to get all 100 things onto her body. Whose idea was this? What about the poor single working moms out there having to get several kids ready? This did not put me in a good mood!

So I drop Julia off -- she can barely move for all the stuff, and she's got two giant bows taped to each shoulder. I get back home, and the kindergartener across the street is getting into her car. She is one of Julia's friends so I was talking to her. She had 100 little buttons neatly sewn on the front of her sweatshirt. She looked really cute -- and my own child looks like a Hallmark store explosion. Plus she's got a $10 Sears coupon taped to her backside. I'm exhausted! And it's only 8:21 a.m.!

7 Comments:

  • At Thu Jan 27, 06:41:00 AM, Blogger Keith Brenton said…

    Now I know we had it easy. On Laura's one hundredth day of school, all we had to do was send in 100 identical "somethings," and she was to count them.

    Laura chose M&Ms, so they didn't come back!

     
  • At Thu Jan 27, 01:32:00 PM, Blogger SG said…

    We are making a necklace out of 100 Cheerios for our 100 day next week. Really... who came up with 100 day?

     
  • At Thu Jan 27, 03:45:00 PM, Blogger Mae said…

    In TN the 100th day is usually on or very close to Dr. Seuss' birthday so everyone dresses up as their favorite character from one of his books. That sounds a bit easier than coming up w/ 100 anything!

     
  • At Fri Jan 28, 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Jana said…

    Deana - You are such a great writer! I aspire to be as talented...

     
  • At Sat Jan 29, 01:21:00 PM, Blogger Clarissa said…

    We had the 100th day this week, too. Julianne, a week early, was telling me how she'd need 100 things to glue on something at school. So I thought about it, and I have a large box of party toothpicks (with the colorful thingies on the ends) that I bought for some party. So she carefully counted those out. Then on Thursday morning, I realized I hadn't yet signed Joey's daily notebook, so i signed it and noticed the note that said he needed to bring in 100 things, glued or mounted on posterboard or a large sheet of paper ... THAT DAY!! And school was to start in 15 minutes. So I grabbed those toothpicks, had plenty more, got the kids to grab me two pieces of printer paper, taped those together, and affixed the toothpicks as assigned, in ten rows of ten. Needless to say, we were late for school. But we got our 100 toothpicks there, thank you very much!!!

     
  • At Mon Jan 31, 02:45:00 PM, Blogger Beaner said…

    Our 100th day of school is Thursday. I don't remember this phenomenon when I went to school, but....my son has been making paper monsters and cutting them out & play fighting with them for the last couple of weeks. (Which upsets Santa a little bit - who knew all he needed was a ream of paper???) Anyway, he's got about 60-70 & he's going to make more until he gets to 100. This is either going to keep him very busy for the next few days - YAY! - or I'm going to be at Walmart Wed. night. Stay tuned!!!

     
  • At Sat Feb 05, 07:07:00 PM, Blogger Chris Benjamin said…

    Deana, Chad:

    I am so glad I found your blogs. I bumped into them from Cope's blog. I am glad to see Deana writing for the paper. I was indeed a fan of your writing back in the Optimist days.

    I hope you remember me from Lake Jackson. I will try to send an email your way, but go ahead and send one to me if you like.

    In the meantime check out my new blog at www.writtenwithoutink.blogspot.org

    I would love your feedback.

    CB

     

Post a Comment

<< Home