Deanaland

Wednesday, December 08, 2010

What I learned about myself in 2010

1) I’ve reached the age where jumping rope makes me wet my pants.

2) Graduate school isn’t so scary after all.

3) I like sushi.

4) A long-distance friend of mine recently told me that not only can you pray for God to bring people into your life, you can pray for him to remove people from your life. (In a healthy way, not an Ananias-and-Sapphira way.) I’ve been intrigued by this concept lately.

5) When you have a migraine, that whistle sound on the Febreze commercials can make you want to commit violent acts.

6) Even when both your kids are in school all day, there still isn’t enough time in the day.

7) When my dad was diagnosed with cancer a while back, my best friend from preschool, whose husband has survived two types of cancer, called me out of the blue to offer some much-appreciated words of wisdom. And my best friend from elementary school, who lost her own dad to cancer several years ago, sent me a very sweet and thoughtful message. One friend lives in Connecticut, the other in Boston. Friendships are not limited by time or space.

8) My dog has no concept of personal space.

9) I am so over the little Christmas village Chad and I began collecting pieces for years ago and I want to get rid of it.

10) I am a much better student in my late 30s than I was in my late teens/early 20s. Back then, I was just trying to survive. Now I'm trying to succeed. Makes a big difference.

11) The stay-at-home mom of a preschooler stage of my life is over. I did it for ten years. It was great and I have wonderful memories of it. But I'm not pining for more babies. That ship has sailed, hit an iceberg and sunk to the bottom of the ocean.

6 Comments:

  • At Wed Dec 08, 07:49:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    I wish you smooth sailing on your life journey, Deana. You are a young woman wiser than your years. I imagine you will encourage so many young women/mothers as you have encouraged me. Ministers wives do not have to be stuffy, they can be honest, fun, plus wise.
    God bless you!

     
  • At Wed Dec 08, 07:50:00 AM, Blogger Mary Lou said…

    Not that I am "young" anymore, but like I said about you..."wiser than your years".

     
  • At Wed Dec 08, 03:17:00 PM, Blogger Stephanie said…

    SO glad you posted! I always enjoy your blog, and I enjoyed these little tidbits about you as well.

     
  • At Wed Dec 08, 08:36:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Love everything you said!

    --the other Mary Lou

     
  • At Wed Dec 08, 10:39:00 PM, Blogger Jina Hinson said…

    Comment #1 reminds me of the comment my friend made to me after she decided to join her 3rd child on the trampoline one sunny afternoon, only to quickly get off and tell me, "Oh my, I think trampoline jumping has become a panty-liner sport!"

    Couldn't agree more. :0

     
  • At Tue Dec 14, 04:32:00 PM, Blogger Karen H said…

    This is a great post. i have been so uninspired lately to blog, or at least blog anything that anyone besides me might want to read. I might steal your idea at some point. Always LOVE reading your stuff. And I am so glad your dad is doing so well. I love his writing as well. Like father, like daughter?

    Merry Christmas! Hope to see you in 2011!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home