Deanaland

Saturday, December 17, 2005

The Saturday before the Saturday before Christmas

Whoever said material things can't make you happy was never a 34-year-old woman who had given birth twice who was able to fit into size 6 low-rise jeans that were on sale at Foley's. They quite literally make me happy. The best $40 my husband ever spent.

We went to see the Narnia movie today. First, I have to comment on one of the previews. The new Pirates of the Caribean movie is coming out. It's funny that a character so lacking in hygiene as Jack Sparrow can be such an unbelievable turn-on.

So, Narnia. It really is a great movie. That says a lot coming from me because, in general, I don't like movies. I just don't like the idea of sitting there and staring at something for a couple of hours. I think I'm ADD. Anyway, there a lot of observations people could and have made about the movie. One part that stood out to me was when all the children had to leave their mothers at the train station at the beginning. This movie is mostly fantasy, but that scene was very real for the children of London who had to evacuate during Hitler's blitzkrieg on London. These children must have felt so lost -- so out of control of their situations. Then Lewis steps in with this fantasy of the children being able to fight a battle for a kingdom over which they become kings and queens. In control of everything. What a gift to those children. The battle scene in the movie was something else, but I think the toughest battle these kids had to fight was when they left their mother at the station.

Julia loved it. She's careful to point out discrepancies though, such as how the witch's skin wasn't white like the book said it was.

Now I have a house to clean and cookies to bake and all that stuff. It would be nice if I could walk into my closet and come out, say, in the elevator at Neiman's...

9 Comments:

  • At Sun Dec 18, 11:48:00 AM, Blogger Sarah P said…

    Oh, I'm so looking forward to having a house to clean and babies to cook cookies with for Christmas. Someday (many days away)...
    We really enjoyed Narnia too. Excellently put together. I'm amazed Julia wasn't scared by any of the scenes. I figured anyone under the age of 12 would have been horrified by those wolves. Props to your very independent and self-aware 1st grader.
    Looking forward to seeing you!
    sarah p

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 11:53:00 AM, Blogger elizabeth said…

    I knew you would like those low rise jeans if you gave them a try!

    Something about the arguement that they half the size of your rear is a real plus in my book!

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 01:43:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    Jack Sparrow is so hot! But I don't know why...
    Denise

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 02:16:00 PM, Blogger Cheetah, the cheetah said…

    Man, I'm so jealous. Size 6 jeans. I'm happy for you--sad for me! Middle age has struck with a vengeance!

    Aah, the Veggie Tales. Even my Junior High and High Schoolers liked the Veggie Tales. Now they're all grown up...where did the years go?

    I've got to go see the Chronicles of Narnia! I read the book 30 years ago and am re-reading it now. It's even better this time.

    My son, Jared, sent me to your blog. I enjoyed reading it. :)

    Oh, and even in a bigger size those low rise jeans are flattering to MY figure.

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Hoots Musings said…

    Don't those low rise jeans cut into your hips and all?

    The grosses thing I ever saw was a pair of low riders and an exposed thong.

    Sorry, I am almost 50 and I guess I am a tad jealous.

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 02:48:00 PM, Blogger Hoots Musings said…

    Don't those low rise jeans cut into your hips and all?

    The grosses thing I ever saw was a pair of low riders and an exposed thong.

    Sorry, I am almost 50 and I guess I am a tad jealous.

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 07:27:00 PM, Blogger Deana Nall said…

    Yeah, Paige -- but I never caught myself lusting over Willy Wonka.

     
  • At Sun Dec 18, 08:44:00 PM, Blogger Mae said…

    you ARE NOT add. you may show symptoms of, or have add tendencies, but one is NOT a disorder just as one is not a disease. w/ love from the one who may show ocd symptoms 59 1/2 minutes each day when the majic # for diagnosis is 60...

     
  • At Mon Dec 19, 08:17:00 AM, Blogger janjanmom said…

    I am sooo over Johnny Depp since Charlie and The Chocolate Factory. I always see him in full girly make-up even if he isn't and it turns my stomach! I hate low rise jeans, maybe they are comfy but I can't stand all those bare backs and spare tires being seen. Don't people feel the draft???? They will be on their way out...us chubby girls have ruined it, short shirts + low rise + belly fat = going out of fashion!!

    I looked around at my church Christmas party last night and smiled at all the Christmas sweaters. Those of US wearing them had much more fun than the fashion gurus trying not to bend over in their low rise jeans with tight short shirts!!!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home